View Single Post
Old
07-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
If the four years was too long, I presume you would have preferred two. But two years included ZERO UFA years, so $3.5 was not necessary. We should have either signed him 2 years at about $2.25, knowing his limitations, or just waited to the end of the year. The only was I was giving 4 years was for $2.0M per year so that I had a highly tradeable contract.
The DD signing has bothered others much more than it bothers me. What bothers me about the DD signing is that we've continued to surround him with smurfs. As an individual, DD isn't a bad little player. Adds some scoring depth and I don't really mind him.

But teaming him with Gionta, Gallagher, Plecs and now Briere doesn't make any sense at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
This is such a fan perspective, but in reality is far from the truth.

The GM's job is to run a successful franchise. A cup is gravy, not the only goal.
You have things completely backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Right-on. Basically, the Habs have a major leak and Bergevin responds by purchasing another paddle.
Yup he got a paddle and also managed to make the leak in our boat worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I think the timing of our Cup window depends largely on how well our D develop. If Tinordi, Beauieu and Dietz/Ellis/Pateryn look legit -- and I'll bet we'll get a good look at them this season -- we could have a very solid, big, balanced defence by the following season. 2014/15 could be our time. Our D could be our strength, and almost all of it could be homegrown through the draft. If so, Plekanec should be a part of that. He'll still be in his prime, plus the leadership, experience, etc.

That means focusing on our forward depth. We need to get the right player, a real PF. I don't care how, but that's when Bergevin sprouts balls and gets it done. Trade the players you mentioned, add Bourque to the list, sweeten it with one D if necessary. I'll even speak heresy and offer Gallagher to get a star forward. We have to accept that to get someone big we have to give someone big.

The only other option is to get a prime UFA. I don't buy the idea that top UFAs won't come to Montreal. We just have offer enough. Trade away Briere, free up $4M and get the right guy, not just the available guy.
A prime UFA has to be available to begin with though. Usually they aren't. They are usually over the hill guys. It's rare to have the opportunity to bid on a true impact player like Pronger or Chara.

As for dealing Gallagher... I would hate to do it. But I see where you're coming from.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote