Thread: Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #5
View Single Post
Old
07-21-2013, 07:16 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Why does that mean "there's no such thing as a goalie prospect"? If you're drafting and developing young goalies, those are prospects.

Also, the vast majority of NHL starting goalies proved themselves as top prospects before they made the jump. Just because the failure rate is higher and it takes longer to materialize, it doesn't make sense to ignore a goalie prospect's success and talent until they are a seasoned NHL vet.
But the vast majority of high level NHL goalies were never highly touted prospects. Only a few of the NHL's best goalies were on the map when they were 18-20 years old. Guys like Price are extremely rare. And it seems for every Price you have several more Pickards, Heleniuses, and even Fleurys.

I won't ever buy into a goalie's hype until he proves that he is NHL quality.

I'm intrigued by Stolarz, but I think we need to be extremely cautious with our expectations.

The best way to find a goaltender through the draft is to use a high volume of 3rd-7th round picks on goalies. Taking one with a high pick is risky. A goaltender can dominate at every level and flop at the NHL level. It's extremely difficult to project their transition. Goalie prospects obviously exist, but I personally refuse to put the "blue chip" label on any goalie prospect.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote