View Single Post
Old
07-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I hear ya. Zykov "may" be a home run, but to be honest I think he's more of a risky pick than either DLR or Zykov. The Russian factor unfortunately hurts most prospects..Zadorov was a top 7 talent in this draft if you can put up with his lackadaisical nature...but he's Russian.

Don't be expecting the Habs to be drafting any Russians in the top 60 these days, especially with the KHL, and having been burned in the past by the Kostitsyns and such..and Avtsin and Trunev not panning out.

The first time I saw Zykov play I thought he might be a top 15 guy...very strong on his skates, drove to the net with authority, played a North American style I thought...looked like a potential power forward.

On subsequent viewings he wasn't as impressive however, and when it became evident that other players were coming into the mix in what turned out to be a very deep draft, he fell.

While Zykov is a strong kid who is hard to knock off of his skates and likes to hit, he's not a real gritty guy..he didn't get in any fights last season...not even during the playoff brawl. His skating is okay but there's work to be done on quickness and agility. Skating is so important at the NHL level..likely the most important category when judging a prospect. He's also not the prospect with the most vision out there, nor are his hands elite.

If I was going to draft a Russian however..Zykov would have been an option. He really doesn't seem like the type of kid who will bolt back to Russia the moment the going gets tough. Yet there is always that possibility.
Who did you prefer between Zykov and Erne?