Thread: Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #5
View Single Post
Old
07-21-2013, 10:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Gibson is a promising young goaltender, but like I said, I refuse to label any goalie prospect as a "blue chipper". Many goalies have dominated at the lower levels and never had consistent success in the NHL.

With goalies, most of them are comparable in talent level. There really isn't that much separating even the best in the NHL from the worst in the NHL in terms of pure talent. The reason why some are so much better is because they have the mental fortitude to bring out that talent game to game and season to season.

I have no faith in goaltenders until they prove that they can maintain high levels of play in the NHL from season to season. We see spurts of immense talent from guys like Bryzgalov and Fleury, but the reason why they can't maintain that standard of play is because they are so weak mentally. On the other hand, goalies like Price, Ward, Lundqvist, Quick, etc. are all extremely confident in their ability, and it shows in the long term. They might have off nights, but you're never going to expect them to have a bad season. They may not dominate year in and year out, but you can expect a certain standard to be upheld.

That's why when I see Stolarz as an intriguing goalie with a promising skill set, I'm excited, but I am tempered. The same applies to Gibson, Fucale, and all the "blue chip" goaltenders. They may have high skill level, but if they don't have the right mentality, they will amount to nothing. For forwards and defenders, the same is true but to a much, much lesser extent. Players can get by on their skill level alone in many cases (not all); goalies can not.

And as an aside, this is also why I think Holtby will become a household name in the NHL for years. He just oozes confidence, and I think that is 90% of the battle for goalies.
I normally wouldn't hype him up but he had a phenomenal year capped off by carrying the US team to a bronze medal as a 19 year old in the WC's. He stole the backup job off Heeter right away and then stole the starter job off of Bishop a few games in. He beat out two guys with pro experience & performed very well at a senior level tournament.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote