Thread: Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #5
View Single Post
Old
07-21-2013, 11:45 PM
Norm MacDonald

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
No, they weren't. Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick, etc. weren't on anybody's radar screen when they were young prospects.

A couple of them were top prospects. But many of them weren't.
You're right about Rinne, but not about Lundqvist and Quick. They were pretty hyped before they entered the league.
Quote:
Right, but with goaltenders, that trajectory is much harder to gauge.

In the NHL right now, you can find more elite goaltenders drafted in the later rounds than you can find elite goaltenders drafted in the first round.

Finding goaltending talent is impossibly difficult for the reason I mentioned in my last post. Because there is not really that much difference in talent between elite goaltenders and career backups. Goaltending is all mental, and it's extremely difficult to gauge a teenagers mental ability.
Goaltending prospects take longer to develop, that's why so many late-round goalie picks are late bloomers. Also, so many of them don't have starting jobs when they are draft age, so it's really difficult for scouts to gage their talent. A year or so after they are drafted, you can get a real sense of which goalie picks have real potential and which ones will likely bust completely.

Also, it's not all mental. Having fortitude is important for maintaining a successful career, but talent and athleticism play a hugely important role that shouldn't be overlooked.
Quote:
Just like I said before, Fleury has immense talent. In all honesty, he may be the most talented goalie in the league. That's why we've seen some incredible brilliance from him...but as I said above, talent for goaltenders doesn't mean all that much if you don't have the mental strength to go with it. He's a mess mentally and because of that, all that talent goes to waste.
Flyers fans shouldn't be laughing at anyone's goalies. I'd take Fleury over our patchwork solution any day. He may not be among the elite, but he's still a legitimate #1.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote