View Single Post
Old
07-22-2013, 07:29 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Also, Herby are you saying acquiring Smyth was a bad deal? We have up Quincey, Preissing, and a pick. None of those really hurt us to give up and Smyth for a while was not a bad player. His last year he was and I'm ecstatic he's an ******* and wanted to bail on us but overall, it wasn't a bad deal. Even trading Smyth away, we got a ton of cap space and Fraser anchored that 4th line for the cup win. I'd call trading him away a win too clearly.
Herby has always hated that trade to an extreme. If I remember right he doesn't think Smyth brought anything to the Kings and was a detriment the whole time he was here. I think it was clear that he gassed badly towards the end of every season he was here, but I also think he did a lot of good while he was here. It's not like Quincey was that valuable of an asset and Preissing was an albatross of a contract and getting Smyth in return was a great recovery for a dumb signing. Plus I'd say Williams and Kopitar wouldn't have the chemistry that those two do right now if it wasn't partly for Smyth playing with those two. Both of those two really started clicking when they were put with Smyth.

People tend to forget how bad the 4th line was before Fraser was healthy. Before he made it into the lineup the Kings had probably the worst 4th line in the NHL that year cycling guys like Hunter, Moreau, Richardson, Clifford, and Westgarth on that line. None of them worked and that line was awful. Fraser was the spark that turned it into a great line once, that got even better once Nolan was thrown in there, it gave the Kings 4 consistent lines to roll against opponents. I thought that 4th line had some of the most memorable shifts of the playoffs. They used to get put out after penalties and powerplays and they almost always turned momentum in the Kings favor with their tenacious forecheck and speed. Just a great line that was a pain to play against, and hit everything that moved.

Quote:
We should have gotten Kovalchuk. The owners in NJ suddenly went strange and for the only time in the Brodeur era of NJ history, they went after a superstar, probably at the great reluctance of Lou Lam.
I honestly think that the Devs going after Kovi so hard and giving out that deal was them realizing that after Broduer was gone they had no one left to build a team around. Parise vanishes in big games, their pipeline didn't have much outside of very good 2nd and 3rd liners. No franchise player to be found anywhere. They needed Kovi, and had to be able to build around him for years. The team first concept that Jersey sells really only works when your team has a franchise guy that makes everyone better (see Brodeur,) they thought Kovi was that guy.

Last edited by tigermask48: 07-22-2013 at 07:37 AM.
tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote