View Single Post
Old
07-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I think this is a classical notion which the league is moving away from. When you look at who has drawn the toughest oppposition among recent champs its guys like Toews/Bolland, Bergeron, Kopitar, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, J.Staal, etc. Teams are looking more and more for a center with offensive capabilities whom they can match up vs the top lines. Teams are looking for scoring lines that can handle "checking" line duties. Defensively responsible 3rd lines are definitely still around, but the idea that your top defensive center is a 3rd liner is no longer the case.

Girgensons can be that kind of player for us--anchor a top 6 line that you can also throw out against top opposition. If he can produce the kind of offense that say Bergeron does, that would be the best case scenario.
I think it's both... meaning, the best teams role with lines anchored by Centers who play a complete 2 way game. Whether that center is the "#1 line" or the "3rd checking line".

I agree and disagree... the "top 6" is changing (more emphasis on 2 way forwards, complete centers, etc)... while the "bottom 6" remains the same (lesser talented offensive players who bring that 2 way game)