View Single Post
Old
07-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Yes, we want to be harder to play against, but what we really need to be is harder to win against, and I don't think we are that. Nystrom and Hendricks will lay down some hits, and maybe the other team will get an extra bruise or two, but we still will be unable to produce any offense and will lose more than we can win.

The bottom line is that this is a bottom 10 team next year, with or without guys like Hendricks, Nystrom, Grabovski, Brunner, etc. so it doesn't really matter. This isn't our year. We have to be patient with the young core, which is why I wish Blum and Halischuk were still around so we could give them minutes. Hendricks and Nystrom are at the top of their progression, while those two had higher ceilings. Either way, we just have to wait and focus on how bright our future looks, especially if this year goes as bad as I expect and we find ourselves with someone like a Sam Reinhart, William Nylander, or Blake Clarke in next years draft.
We lost Matt Halischuk, Brandon Yip, Chris Mueller, Daniel Bang (returning to Sweden), Sergei Kostitsyn, and I'll give you Martin Erat.

We gained Matt Cullen, Viktor Stalberg, Eric Nystrom, Matt Hendricks, and in return of course Filip Forsberg. We are also healthy again.

Cullen, Stalberg, and Forsberg will replace and IMO (as three vs. two should) surpass the production of Erat and Kostitsyn. As a result of health we will have Gaustad back to replace Mueller. That's a win. Nystrom and Hendricks bring more to the table than Halischuk and Yip, but obviously at a higher price. I'll call that a wash. The real win is Cullen pushing down Fisher and Legwand down a line to spots were they can be more effective and overall the additions giving a little more breathing room for Wilson, Hornqvist, and Bourque to return from their surgeries, and ease the expectations of Forsberg and Smith a tad. Taylor Beck is a total wildcard IMO. He looked very good when he was first called up and eventually got injured. If he can return and add another weapon, that's another upgrade over the roster from the start of last season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote