View Single Post
Old
07-23-2013, 12:27 AM
shoop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
Bumping this thread because of the Gagner signing.

I'm going to give MacT an A on the signing, considering he had little to no leverage and still managed to get Gagner to sign a contract which:

a) gives the team flexibility in the future

and

b) locks Gagner in at a (somewhat) reasonable rate.

Now, if he can get a decent return for Hemsky and sign one more depth forward, I'd be willing to give MacT's offseason an A. He wasn't able to upgrade the team's toughness, but there is really only so much a GM can practically do in one offseason.
Great post! With the current cap situation of the team, unloading Hemsky without eating salary (or taking on a big salary in return) would be a great return IMO.

I think MacT looked at the 2005-06 team as a guide to what a team can do if it catches a few breaks and makes some good trades during the season.

They got Pronger in August of '05. So there's still hope for this season!

D could be a bright spot (I guess anything is bright compared to last year's black hole.) The Schultz's are both in contract years, so it's more likely than not you get good seasons from both of them.

If Eakins' reputation for fostering talent comes to fruition with J. Schultz/Smid/Petry the Oilers could see vast improvement from last year's squad.

Give Dubie til Xmas as his real make or break. No improvement in focus go find a replacement. The price will be steep, but I think the fans will accept a big payment for a goalie that can push this team into the playoffs.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote