View Single Post
Old
07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Simonster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
For better or worse, current practice is for Top Swedish prospects to end up playing in the NHL. Whether it's enshrined in a clause of the Transfer Agreement or is tolerated by the IIHF as an acceptable business practice, Swedish players are drafted in the Entry Draft by NHL clubs.

While it's not a contractual right there is some legal right that binds DLR to negotiate a future contract with the Canadiens if he decides to play in the NHL... When he's deemed good enough to play pro NA hockey, he'll follow the route followed by almost all top Swedish players and play for the Canadiens. De facto, DLR will be playing in the Habs organization by the age of 22 at the tail end of his development period.

I appreciate you recognizing that "Leksand's business is not developing prospects for the NHL''. If DLR is any good, he'll end up with Montreal at 22 because of this hybrid legal right recognized by international practice that's owned by the Canadiens, not Leksand, not the SEL.... So any argument by Salo or someone affiliated with the SEL using the development angle (instead of their strict one-year contract with DLR which is perfectly valid) is self-serving.

Montreal has a vested interest on how DLR looks at 22. Leksand has none. He won't by playing in Leksand. You claimed that reasoning was "ignorant"... I say you have blinders on and can't face reality...

I would love for one or more top pro club in Sweden having the same financial assets and competitive circuit as the NHL to attract the top Swedish players in their prime. Unfortunately, we're not there yet.
I'm not saying that reasoning is ignorant. That reasoning is just mere facts. What I call ignorant is the opinion that Leksand, an elite club with their own needs and goals, should act according to Montreal's wishes if there is no gain from it. We didn't ask for Windsor to 'take a chance' and draft JDLR. Had the Habs drafted him first round, they could have done whatever they wanted (if I understand the situation correctly), but this is not the case.

Simonster is offline   Reply With Quote