View Single Post
Old
07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
This is what you said:

"Swede supporting Leksand here. From my perspective, some of the comments here (like... "How about the Habs decide where he'll develop better? Both Windsor and Leksand will only have him in the short term and are biased...") are quite ignorant"

This is not about where he should play next season. It's been recognized that Leksand has a valid contract... I agree Leksand doesn't give a crap if DLR develops correctly of not. If he plays with them next season, Leksand will do what they want. They have games to win.

My big problem is about people affiliated with the SHL suggesting that he's better served playing in Sweden for his development. And that they should know better than Montreal...If the Habs say he's better served staying in Sweden (or that it matter little) I believe it. If someone affiliated with SHL saying it's a step back in DLR's progress to come to NA, it's biased because they directly benefit from him choosing Sweden right now and don't care where his game ends up in the future...
I understand your points, and there is some validity to both sides, but I don't think it's true that Swedish hockey, and Leksand and other club teams in particular, doesn't care how he develops.

The majority of players on Sweden's Olympic and world championship teams come from the NHL.... do you honestly believe they don't care how Swedish players perform and develop in the CHL and NHL? You have to look at it from their perspective.

The Swedes care deeply about the world championships, much moreso than the majority of North Americans - of course they want to see the high draft picks succeed in the NHL - it's good for their program and reputation , good for the country's morale...even good for recruiting purposes. They realize the majority of top Swedish players come to the NHL...it would be quite shortsighted and vindictive to hope that players they've developed since they could first lace up skates come over here and fall flat on their faces.

I don't blame them for not wanting every player to bolt the moment they are selected by junior teams in a draft held on another continent. Unlike here..17 and 18-year olds can play pro hockey outside of the NHL....it's very strong hockey (better than the OHL), and history has shown that the majority of high-end prospects develop just fine staying an extra year or two in Sweden.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote