Thread: Salary Cap: The Oilers and the cap
View Single Post
Old
07-23-2013, 07:41 PM
skorf

vCash: 500
I think we will be fine as we are now.

I think the point people are trying to make is that we are a lot closer to the cap then we may think and this is likely the team we have (unless we make some trades).

It is completely unrealistic to think that we can grab grabovski this year or go and get phaneuf or someone else next year unless we're willing to part with one of our current guys.

-Hemsky's and Nick Schultz's money will go Petry, Nuge, and JSchultz + we'd have to bring in 2 likely cheaper roster spot guys as well
-Ryan Smyth's money will go to Dubnyk + Smyth's roster spot replacement
-Lander likely gets a raise too.

-I guess we could sign guys for 650k or whatever minimum is to fill out our 3rd and 4th lines and make a splash for Phaneuf or someone. Only issue is then we are stuck with a very bad bottom 6 again

-So the only real cap space we have to use is with how much the cap goes up, and even if it goes up 4-5 million. We would have to be careful to go right up to it since the following year we have to give Yakupov a raise and we will not have a Hemsky/NSchultz coming off of the books then

-I think we could fit another 2.5-3 million dollar player in on our 3rd line next year, but thinking that we will sign the biggest name free agents next year is unrealistic

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote