View Single Post
Old
07-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Kovifan27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Probably. They are very weak on defense. Orpik and Niskanen would be a huge improvement for them. Plus the Lightning have great forward depth, some of which could be coming back to the Penguins in a deal.

The issue is that Orpik has a LMC, which means he can list up to 8 teams he'll refuse a trade to. Being that Tampa Bay was the 3rd worst team in the NHL last year, I have to wonder if that's one of the teams Orpik would say no to.
It all depends on his opinion. He may want to go somewhere that has better weather. It would work well for both teams though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiastelmon View Post
The best thing to do with Orpik IMO is to let him eat some limited minutes for us this year, and begin to scale back those minutes as Depres and other young D gain experience, trade him as the deadline approaches to a contender out west for picks/prospects or whatever roster needs we have then.

Lots of teams will want him for the stretch run. The other option is to just ride him out through this year's playoffs, he'll be playing for a job next year, and you should get some decent use out of him.

Under no circumstances should we ever resign the guy though. That's the only real mistake we can make with him.
I have a feeling they will ride him out too which is crap because he has value. The family mentality has to go if he is traded though which I don't see happening. We could use some good forward prospects.

Bottom line is I don't think Shero could resign him even if he wanted. The cap goes up great but you would eat that extra space right back up. So trade him while he has value; before he gets injured this season.