View Single Post
Old
07-24-2013, 02:46 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
You can't sit there and say at the time it was a terrible signing. It wasn't the way I'd have gone (signed older vet and give Bob time to develop,) but it wasn't TERRIBLE. The contract was too long and too much, but how many of us really thought it'd be a problem in the first two years? Many speculated the contract would be awful in maybe the last 3-4 years, but not the first two. Hindsight is giving you the benefit of calling this a terrible signing. It wasn't. A terrible signing is signing Rick DiPietro to a 15 year deal or whatever it was after one year of play.
signing the player wasn't terrible but that contract was just ridiculous. He was awesome before he came here. I was shocked when i heard 9 years and i just assumed circumvention which some of it was but the hit was too high too. The problem was the changes that were made to sign him. it was ridiculous. we've been a mess since then in terms of personel and execution of this system of ours. He was made a scapegoat. The contract was not his fault. He himself is not at fault. holmgren the general manager who makes all decisions is. He made some really great moves early and now he's just another bob clarke in there. Hextall will take over soon enough and at least he's seen a winner first hand.