View Single Post
Old
07-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Good signing. We are now just a bit over -1million in cap space. Time for Nisky to go.
Pretty much this.

I'm happy with that signing. I want to see what this guy can bring and if he brings it for 2 years at 600K, makes our D tougher, it's a win-win because he fills a need and at his next contract he's not going to get the big money yet most likely.

...at least if old patterns hold where good D have that "tweener contract" before they get their big FA money / re-up.

Next up: who gets traded. I'm not entirely sure it will be Niskanen even though from a fan perspective he's the most obvious guy. I don't know that the Penguins intend to give Orpik an extension next year and he definitely has good trade value. He's slowed noticeably during the regular seasons and has admitted he can't play his old style of game 82 a year or he won't even "make it" to the playoffs. Given that, his age, his cap hit... I'd say there's a 30% chance if we get the right offer we'd move Orpik instead.

Even with the cap going up... Orpik's salary is not going anywhere but up for the final contract of his career so... I think there's at least a chance. I don't think Shero will "shop" him, but if he got a good offer, he'd move him IMO because he might be able to solve two problems at once (cap hit and F depth / F prospect depth).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote