View Single Post
Old
07-24-2013, 07:03 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Who says Harrington needs a full year in WBS?

He may...the Pens' system is notoriously difficult for defensemen to pick up. There's also the small matter of depth to leapfrog, but I have no problem seeing Harrington called up due to injury this year and acquitting himself well.

The argument for Harrington is that he's a more refined, more experienced, and simply better defensive player than Maatta. He's been the best junior-aged shutdown defenseman in the CHL (and maybe the world) the last two years.
Dumoulin spent a full year there, despite having a much more NHL ready frame and coming from a team that used a similar D-zone breakout.

It won't be any easier to break through this year as Dumoulin will be ahead of Harrington on the depth chart in addition to at least 7 NHL caliber D-men on the roster.

I see next year as the first chance at our youth movement on D to break through. Nisky and Orpik will likely be gone. And we'll have slots to fill. Maatta is the far more dynamic player who has the poise and hockey IQ to step into an NHL role without needing seasoning in the A.

I think they'll make the NHL roster around the same time. And Maatta will be the superior player.