View Single Post
Old
07-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Until you hit the player like Tyler Myers who all of a sudden declines and us now making 2x what he is worth. PK didn't prove enough and our front office felt it was worth waiting. This was a pragmatic and intelligent decision that illustrates our current managements competence.

I knew PK would be an all star before he had his amazing playoff but that doesn't mean it's smart to sign him to a huge contract. None of our players are guaranteed to get better and we should have no problem being patient before paying them top dollar. If they want to stay they will take a Pacioretty type deal (not exact money but he definitely took a disocunt). Otherwise they will cash in.

PK deserves 7.5M AAV but I hope he signs for a discount and goes with 6.75. Although I will admit I kind of hope he gets 7.6. (Maybe Galchenyuk will take 2.7 )
No player is without risk. There will always be players who don't live up to their contracts.

5 mil per year though isn't a bad risk to take. And if you really are going to force a bridge on PK (something that doesn't make a whole lot of sense) and want to pay him less over a couple of years, there's absolutely no way we should be shoving 2.8 million down his throat. There's just no way to justify that amount.

I don't see 5 for 25 as a huge contract. 8 for 56 is a huge contract. 5 for 5 for a guy who'd already shown himself to be a quality number one blueliner at the age of 22 is a smart risk to take. Even if he'd just played at the level he was already at 5 million was very good value. And like I said, lowballing him was an awful move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not saying he wouldn't have more leverage. I'm saying we are talking under the premise that PK 4 years from now will be worth the moon, that he will absolutely ask for it..
We certainly did ourselves no favours in this area by screwing him over and forcing him into a deal for less than 3 million per. Don't blame him at all now if he does ask for the moon.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 07-24-2013 at 09:33 PM.