View Single Post
Old
07-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Yes it absolutely does! With your way (5 year deal), he's under contract for 5 years, then becomes a UFA. With the bridge deal, he signed for two years, is a RFA with limited rights, then signs the 8 year deal before becoming a UFA. So you're comparing overpaying for two years (the first two) and having him a total of 5 years until UFA, and underpaying for two years (the first two) and having him for 10 years before becoming a UFA. Immense difference.

Personally, I think that you're underestimating Bergevin. He seems like a very smart hockey man from what everyone around the NHL is saying.
Yes, but assuming he does agree to an 8tear extension, we are not getting him at a cheap price. So the point is moot. Will it be a discount in 5 years? Time will tell, all we know now is that he will get a huge amount on his next deal. At least we would have had him for 5 years at below value.

As for Bergevin, I was all for him, I still believe in him, but he's made some head scratching moves. NHL is a club, unqualified people get jobs, some rather poor hokey minds still have jobs despite failing. So it really doesn't mean much what the rest of the league thinks. It certainly is better to have good things said about him, but he's a rookie GM, and he isn't/won't be mistake free.
He might have looked at the UFA status, but I don't think it had anything to do with it really.