View Single Post
Old
07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
When you are looking at the 2 goalies, look at 2 key things since we are talking about prospects.

1) Jarry was a second round pick, Hartz was undrafted.
2) Jarry is 18 to Hartz 24. In 6 years, do you believe Jarry will have surpassed Hartz where he is now.....basically, I would think that by 24, Jarry will have played plenty of AHL games, and maybe some NHL games. It's hard to say, but the fact that the Pens moved up to get him leads me to believe they feel this way as well.

Nothing against Hartz, as he may become the better pro, but based on projections, I'd say Jarry is the better PROSPECT.
That's how you look at skaters, goalies are much different.

1 - Being a 2nd round pick means nothing for goalies. Just look at the list I posted. over 50% of the goalies who played 20+ games last year were 4th rounders or higher, with many being un-drafted.

2 - In 6 years Jarry could be a stud, but he could just as easily be another Joel Gistedt or Antoine Lafleur or Trevor Cann or Jeremy Smith. Those were the first 4 goalies drafted in 2007 and were all 2nd rounders. Then in 2008 you have Chet Pickard and Thomas McCollum drafted ahead of Jacob Markstrom and Jake Allen.

Just because a team likes a goalie in their draft year doesn't mean he'll turn out to be a stud (or even a backup in the NHL).