Thread: Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #7
View Single Post
Old
07-25-2013, 06:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm surprised. Akeson is probably the most skilled of the forward prospects in the Flyers system. He might not have the physical gifts that a Laughton has, but his playmaking skills, his puck handling skills, his hockey IQ, and his work ethic is certainly right up there. I don't get why people don't want to root for him because all what he does is bounce through adversity and never gives up. When Terry Murray sent him down to the ECHL last year, many thought that was it for him. Instead, Akeson works his backside off improving his defensive game, gets called back up to Adirondack, and immediately contributes, to the point where he was one of the most relied upon guys in Adirondack. People see the flash of a Straka or they see the sheer brute size of a McGinn and to be perfectly honest, Straka never matched what Akeson did in junior in terms of numbers and McGinn doesn't even sniff Akeson's jock strap when it comes to numbers at the minor pro level either. Now, don't think I'm hating on Straka or McGinn because I think they can be very good players (in the case of McGinn, he needs some fine tuning, but I can see a David Clarkson-type future when he puts it all together). I just don't think either of them match what Akeson brings to the table right now.
I agree 100 percent. His work ethic is awesome and it showed last year. By the end of the season Akeson was on the teams first pk unit and was a far cry from being a defensive liability 5 on 5. All he's done is improve and overcome. He just turned 23 (McGinn's age) so it's definitely not too late for him to make something of himself. I'm pulling for him.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote