Old
07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
No.

Sorry, but there's become this logic-defying HF love affair with diminutive players. Maybe Zuccarello will be an exception, but I'm betting not... this is not a tiny man's league. I wish it were. But we see 6'3" 215 ls. guys barreling down the ice at 25-30mph.

Guys like Marty St. Louis and Theo Fleury and Marcel Dionne are just guys with Gretzky/Lemieux-esque talent who don't have the size to be on that level. Zuccarello might be a Steve Sullivan, but lightning won't strike twice. This Tolstoy dude will NEVER stick in the NHL at 5'5"... and at that size, how can he be anything but a perimeter player and have more than a 20-game career?

It's naive... pure skill just WILL NOT cut it. I know everyone thinks today's NHL is more conducive to small guys to make it, but it just isn't. Athletes are born and bred and trained bigger every year, and you'd have a better shot at winning MegaMillions than getting a guy under 5'10" who is elite.

I'm for the underdog as much as the next guy, as a disabilities advocate, but reality beckons.
The risk is minimal. We lose nothing but a contract slot by giving him a chance. The team reserves a certain number of slots for undrafted players every year, so if it isn't this kid, it will be some other long shot.

No matter who we give that contract to, the odds are against the player making it. There's no point in stressing over it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote