View Single Post
Old
07-26-2013, 11:19 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
The fact that he has had a 6 year career and he's only 24 says a lot. Playing with talented wingers and at least 1 good pmd Gagner can put up 60-80 points a season.

The oilers are paying for his potential 60-80 point season not his 40 point seasons he put up as a teenager / young adult.
It does say a lot about what the Oilers thought of him. Just because a player was drafted high doesn't alone justify their salary. Pouliot should be making a lot more if that was your only criteria. Now I'm not saying Pouliot is better than Gagner. I am saying that at some point, 6 years of sample size, potential starts to fall by the wayside and you need to start looking at actual production. To that point, Gagner is over paid as he has not produced to his current salary thus far. I don't think you need to be a genius to figure this one out. Frankly, I'm amazed that some people think his $4.8M per year contract is justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
That Oilers team is really bad at everything, Gagner's stats were deflated imo. I won't defend him as a 4.8m player because that's a ludicrous number for someone who hasn't broken 60pts but yeah, his potential is off the charts.
The Habs were last place in the East year before last and DD had a career year. Many players have very good individual stats when their team has had bad years. Saying a team had a bad year isn't synonymous to poor individual performance.

I don't think anyone is saying Gagner doesn't have the potential to be a good player. The arguments are that he hasn't been that player yet. As such, he hasn't earned the $4.8M he got. Again, I don't see this as a point of contention as some people do. 49 points 6 years ago and 5 mediocre years thereafter shouldn't equal the contract he got. It just shouldn't.