View Single Post
Old
07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
The Habs were last place in the East year before last and DD had a career year. Many players have very good individual stats when their team has had bad years. Saying a team had a bad year isn't synonymous to poor individual performance.

I don't think anyone is saying Gagner doesn't have the potential to be a good player. The arguments are that he hasn't been that player yet. As such, he hasn't earned the $4.8M he got. Again, I don't see this as a point of contention as some people do. 49 points 6 years ago and 5 mediocre years thereafter shouldn't equal the contract he got. It just shouldn't.
The Habs weren't as bad as their record, nor were they as good as their record this year. The Oilers, however, were just as bad as their record for the past 5 years.

I don't disagree that he shouldn't have gotten 4.8m, it's a crazy amount of money, but Gagner is both really young and really talented and he's a superior player to Desharnais. That's the bottom line. I don't want Gagner at 4.8 on the Habs but at Desharnais' salary I'd take him any day.