View Single Post
Old
07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Roo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I just don't see how it makes sense to give a big payday to a defenseman who still hasn't shown he's able to face anything other than the softest competition.

He had a very promising 7 game stretch in the play-offs, but you're just rolling the dice on a guy who has been heavily sheltered his entire career.
And that's exactly it. He played 3rd pairing even strength minutes during the season with Fraser, and got lots of PP time. So, he put up a good point total, but he still has more to prove. He is not worth $4M+, and should be in the $3M like Gunnarsson. Some will argue that, but Gunnarsson plays tougher minutes on the top pairing with Dion, and has been around longer.

This speaks to the Subban scenario with MTL a year ago. Not saying he's on his level but he (and Kadri) should be getting bridge contracts. Franson was a tough sign last time, and will be again. I'm not worried, I think he wants to be here. In the end, he made like $1.2M and will get a significant raise any way you slice it. He'll double his salary at least. I think $3.25 is the right amount per.