View Single Post
07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Richards role was to control Toews in that series and he did. Toews finished the playoffs with 29 pts in 22 games but was held to 3 pts (all assists) in the finals which is impressive considering it was a crazy scoring series. Richards added a goal and an assist in those 6 games, sure everyone wanted more but it's unfair to put the blame on him IMO, he did his job. And while Carter only had one goal and 1a in the finals he played better then his numbers indicated, specifically on defense. Blaming the cup loss on one moment (missing the empty netter) is pretty short sighted. Gagne, as well as Carter also have the injury card to play.

Leighton sucked for the entire series, though the last goal was particularly sucky. I do agree that it wasn't just goaltending but the vast majority of the blame should be on the goaltending, like 98 percent.
I would credit Pronger more than I would Richards for shutting down Towes. The Hawks had Towes & Kane on a line for the majority of the playoffs & had to spilt them up after game 4 because Pronger shut them down.

There's no doubt if we would have won the cup that year that he should have been the Conn Smythe winner even over Briere IMO. He was that dominant & our MVP that playoff run.