View Single Post
Old
07-27-2013, 06:40 PM
SchultzSquared

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage09 View Post
Oilers offseason moves should put them in position to make a playoff push and won't have a top 10 pick. Oilers just had a run of 3-1st overall picks and won't be picking in the Top 5 again for a long time.
Actually I think the opposite... MacT seems content with three of Smyth Joensuu Brown Lander getting regular minutes next year... and he seems to not be worried we will not have a top line C to start 2013-14...

Really we could look like this on opening night:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Yakupov
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Smyth/Lander-Brown

How in hell does that team even sniff the playoffs... you can say oh yes it's only one month... but RNH will need at least four weeks to get back into the swing of things... or at least we should expect that... all of a sudden it could be December 1 before we are even running at full power... and that is without injuries to another key guy... or even one of our top nine centers

We're screwed if we spend any time looking like this...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Lander-Hemsky
Joensuu-Smyth-Brown

Or worse

Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Eberle-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Joensuu-Lander-Brown

As much as I want to think this is the year we take that next step... I think it is more another learning year... we still need Yak RNH and Gags to show they can be consistent high performers... and there are many holes in the bottom six and even on D to sort out long term

Bottom lime I think this team is more entertaining next year... 6-4 games etc... but playoff team? No... I would expect we finish 26th this year... keep in mind I nailed our finish last year... we will take a small step back in 2013-14... no shame in that but that is what a rebuild involves

With that said Oilers top targets need to be bulky wingers or a beast of a defensive C... I think we finally have real depth at D at for the first time in a long time... so unless we are in position to take Ekblad it is smarter to grab a PF...

30th (CGY?)- Reinhart
29th (BUF?)- Nylander
28th (FLA?)- Ekblad
27th (CAR?)- McKeown
26th (EDM?)- Clarke, Dal Colle, Virtanen, Draisatl, Lindblom or MacInnis