View Single Post
Old
07-28-2013, 07:45 PM
clarke19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
This is true. A lot of people here think the regular season means something.

The Habs are built to have moderate success in the season and get destroyed in the playoffs.
Point out to me all the bruisers Chicago has. Also Detroit and Pittsburgh. We're not buult to be destroyed in the playoffs. The team ran into a cold streak, injuries piled up, and the Sens relied on very strong goaltending to beat us.

I agree that we need to bulk up on D, but Diaz is simply not the problem. Neither is Markov or Subban. Our problem last year was Gorges not playing the role he has to play for us to be successful, and the lack of a more rugged guy where Bouillon is.

If we want to have 3 good puckmovers, which I believe our team should due to our quickness and rush-focused offense, we need to insulate them with guys who can play defense and play a tough game as well, otherwise we're going to get lit up in our own end.

This is what the Hawks did with Leddy and Keith. While Keith is no slouch defensively when he has to be, he was allowed to play more of a puckmoving transition game due to Seabrook and Hjalmarsson being the defensive forces. Gorges couldn't do that for us last year. He was a liability when exposed to the tough minute defensive responsibilities.

In conclusion, the blame for our defensive woes is not to be placed on the guys who are supposed to provide a good transition game and strong first-passes and PP. The blame is to be placed on the guys who are supposed to be able to play in their own zone and play defense. Diaz will never be a stay-at-home rugged defenseman. It's okay because that's not what he is supposed to do. It's what Gorges is supposed to do. It's what Bouillon is supposed to do, it's what Emelin is supposed to do. There's room for 3 mobile/offensive D-men if-and-only-if our defensive guys can handle the responsibilities placed on them.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote