View Single Post
Old
07-28-2013, 08:44 PM
My Sweet Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Let's discuss an obvious issue,

The Leafs currently have $6.1 million in cap space. Let's make the assumption that Trevor Smith isn't on the roster and Joe Colborne is our 3rd line winger (I know it's unlikely, but he's cheap). Now that leaves $6.7 million.

Kadri, Franson and Fraser are all RFA's. $6.7 million to sign these three.

Fraser is asking for $2.0 in arb, the Leafs counter with $.855. Usually they meet halfway so let's assume that Fraser gets $1.427.

Kadri and Franson left. $5.293 million to get them signed. That's $2.64 million A PIECE.

Now ask yourself, how do you feel that our general manager/front office put a larger emphasis on our 6th and 7th best forwards (Bozak/Clarkson), than our 2nd highest scoring forward and highest scoring defenseman. Now lots of people seem to think that the Leafs decided Franson was in over his head and it's a great time to sell high on him, even if that's the case.. We didn't give ourselves the opportunity to sign him.

if one of McLaren/Orr don't get resigned and Bozak walks.. We could have signed these guys without any hesitation. Am I the only one who thinks he's watching our front office piss away cap space right before our eyes? What a terrible display of cap management by the Maple Leafs.
JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Grabovski - Kulemin
Colborne - Bolland - McClement
McLaren - Smith - Orr

So we save $3.4M vs. our current roster. Even signing Franson isn't going to make that a competitive roster...especially if Kadri falters in his 2nd full season or Grabovski fails to rebound.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote