Old
07-29-2013, 07:29 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Meszaros has a very significant injury history, including (but not limited to) this past season:
2013/04/27 Missed the last 16 regular season games (shoulder injury).
2013/03/09 Missed 21 games (sprained left shoulder).
2012/05/08 Missed 19 regular season and 10 playoff games (back surgery)
2009/04/12 Missed the last 30 games of the regular season (left shoulder surgery).

As well, he has been shown to be less effective the higher up he climbs in the pairings. Choosing between him and Gustafsson (who is currently around Meszaros' compete level and has the ability to get better) is an easy economic decision.
I don't know why people are having problems understanding what I am saying. I don't think I could be any clearer. I AM NOT SAYING TRADE GUS AND KEEP MEZ. I AM SAYING TWO THINGS: 1) IF MEZ AND GUS ARE BOTH HERE AND THE CHOICE TO PLAY ONE OVER THE OTHER COMES UP, I WOULD PLAY MEZ BECAUSE WHEN HEALTHY HE IS THE BETTER PLAYER; AND 2) IF GUS WERE TO BE TRADED IN A PATRICK SHARP-TYPE SITUATION (I.E. NO ROOM FOR HIM HERE SO THEY ARE TRADING HIM TO DO HIM A FAVOR) I WOULDN'T BE TOO BROKEN UP BECAUSE I THINK GUS IS OVERRATED AROUND HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
In 27 games this year, Gustafsson's relative CORSI (CORSI-on minus CORSI-off) was a -0.4.

In 11 games this year, Meszaros' relative CORSI was a -26.2. He was just above Jody Shelley (1 game) and Harry Zolnierczyk (7 games), whose relative CORSIs were the worst on the team. He was just above Jay Rosehill's 11-game stint with us.

In 30 games last year, Gustafsson's relative CORSI was a +0.2.

In 62 games last year, Meszaros' relative CORSI was a -1.07.

In 3 games the year before last, Gustafsson's relative CORSI was a +26.6 (obviously inflated drastically by his short stint).

In 81 games that year, Meszaros' relative CORSI was a +2.2. That was his best year, and the year he was our "best" defenseman.
So that's it? One stat over a 70 or so game span means 1) that Gus is a top four defender and 2) that Gus is better than Mesz. To begin with, I don't place as much stock in a stat like CORSI as most do on here. But if we are going to go with this type of stat let's look at quality of competition as well, which Mesz has a better rating in during each of those seasons (6 vs. 0 last year, -3.4 vs. 5.6 two years ago, and -1.7 vs. -13.1 three years ago). That surely factors in, doesn't it?