View Single Post
Old
07-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Kirby

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kirby
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
So now Dubnyk's great play has been hampered by the defence and the forwards playing in front of him?

This is Dubnyk's make or break year. No complaints about the team in front of him.

If he proves he is a solid starter in this league then he will earn a new contract.

I'm with MacT. Dubnyk's play has to improve this year. If it doesn't find someone else next season.
Good thing my post said "many games" and not "all games."

I never stated that it was the team alone that was responsible for Dubnyk's play. I was simply commenting on the statement that Dubnyk is not a goaltender that can steal you games. However, with that said, if Dubnyk maintains his level of play this year, and the team in front of him plays better team defense, it would stand to reason that Dubnyk's stats would get better. No?

Let me clarify: Dubnyk is not perfect, he needs to work on rebound control, angles, confidence (when he's confident, he doesn't tend to drop early, when he's not, he goes down early and gets beat high), and his glove hand. But don't get me wrong, he doesn't need complete 100% overhauls in these areas, he just needs to show further progression by 5-10% in these areas. Slight improvements in these areas would move him from average to above-average goalie to an above-average to really good goalie.

We don't need an elite goalie to win with the offense we should have up front. We just need a solid goalie who is capable of stopping the puck consistently. If Dubnyk improves by another 5-10% this year, he proves he is that goalie, at least IMO.

Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote