View Single Post
Old
07-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Based on my understanding of what i have read on this....

He got injured, doctors misdiagnosed his injury. the treatment then basically made the condition worse. He questions the team doctors by getting a 2nd opinion and proves they were wrong.

The GM was threatened by this in some way. Given he was a very high draft pick...the highest Vancouver had in some time, they should have expected he would be someone who wants to prove he belongs and wants to challenge others for ice time. Some like this--others may look at this as a threat. Given Vancouver had a large veteran core of players (especially with forwards) they likely felt threatened by a kid who wanted to succeed.

On top of this you have a known difficult agent and a highly involved Dad. This complicates things even further.
This is where you're wrong. Gillis, and AV, didn't feel threatened by Hodgson's willingness to succeed, they likely felt annoyed with the process and how he went about it. No player is above the team, if you are ask to play a certain role you should play it, no questions asked. The Hodgson camp, on the other hand, felt as if Hodgson was entitled to something greater when he definitely wasn't. The guy was a rookie playing behind an Art Ross winning center, and a Selke winning center, he needed to pay his dues. Had he stayed, he would have received that opportunity, guaranteed. Instead his camp complained about ice time and his role on the team, that isn't a good team first mentality and no rookie should ever do that.

A good example of how such a situation should be dealt with is Cory Schneider. That guy is pure class and did things the right way. He didn't demand a trade, he didn't complain about starts, and he never put himself ahead of the team. And he was in a far worse situation than Hodgson ever was.

I like Hodgson as a player, but I don't see how anyone can support the way his camp handled things in Vancouver. Maybe they had their reasons, but those reasons were primarily selfish, for better or for worse.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote