View Single Post
Old
07-29-2013, 12:20 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know why people are having problems understanding what I am saying. I don't think I could be any clearer. I AM NOT SAYING TRADE GUS AND KEEP MEZ. I AM SAYING TWO THINGS: 1) IF MEZ AND GUS ARE BOTH HERE AND THE CHOICE TO PLAY ONE OVER THE OTHER COMES UP, I WOULD PLAY MEZ BECAUSE WHEN HEALTHY HE IS THE BETTER PLAYER; AND 2) IF GUS WERE TO BE TRADED IN A PATRICK SHARP-TYPE SITUATION (I.E. NO ROOM FOR HIM HERE SO THEY ARE TRADING HIM TO DO HIM A FAVOR) I WOULDN'T BE TOO BROKEN UP BECAUSE I THINK GUS IS OVERRATED AROUND HERE.
OKAY ... I mean, okay. Healthy Meszaros may or may not be the better defender than Gustafsson at this point, but I have my doubts that any difference is significant enough to warrant a) carrying his salary on a cap-bumping team and b) giving a serious shot to the player who can arguably get better as he gains experience.

Is Gustafsson overrated here? Could be. Considering the lack of defensive prospects coming through the system, even a papier-mâché life raft would look pretty good to a Titanic passenger. Our opinions (minus outliers) on his ceiling seem to vary from a very decent 3rd-pairing guy to a superior 2nd pairing two-way defender. We won't know for sure until he actually gets a shot, for which I believe Gustafsson made a strong case with his play in the past season.