View Single Post
Old
07-29-2013, 05:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Keeping Utley has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Among starting 2nd basemen Utley is 4th in OPS with .835 and 6th in WAR with 2.9. Despite "declining production", he still is better than most 2nd basemen in the league. You can find a replacement for the present Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins. You can't do the same with Utley. The only player on the free agent market better than Utley at 2nd is Cano and the Phillies are not going to pay for that. The Phillies only possibility in the minors right now is Hernandez and he's not going to give you what Utley will give you over the next 2-3 years. Besides all that, he's a good veteran presence and he knows the game better than anyone. He'd be great for the younger players coming up.

As for as his knee condition goes, it is not degenerative and it is manageable. The condition can even go away completely. As far as we know, he's had no problems with his knees this year and he's hit better than he has since 2009.

This isn't just nostalgic. It's perfectly logical to want to keep Utley. It is not logical to keep Utley, Howard, Rollins, Lee, Pabelbon, Ruiz, Halladay, and the rest of the older crew. But I would trade everyone I just named before I would trade Chase, Lee for his value and the rest cause they just aren't bringing anything to this team.
No, it's a bit of a nostalgia, this city has weird obsessions with players that they just can't let go of some of them.

Utley can fetch us a good return right now, this team is going no where & going real fast, trading him now helps us more in the long term.

I'm not banking on his knees getting better & his value staying the same as it is now in a year or two from now.

We're just sinking a ton of time & money into a Dae-Woo right now. This team needs a completely re-haul not aging/terrible contracts. Amaro's already got a half of team full of those.

This team is going to suck with or without Utley in the lineup, I just don't see the positives of keeping him over trading him right now.

When the majority of the fans are calling for a re-build (epspecially Philly fans who are noted for their impatience) I think it's pretty telling what needs to be done.