View Single Post
07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What were the stats line? Was Gretzky shut down like Richards and Carter were? Did Messier lead the team?

The Sedins were held to 2 points each. Kovalchuk and Parise to 1 point each. Marchand had 0 points and Horton had one I think. Richards and Carter had two points each. If Messier and Gretzky had two points each, my guess is they wouldn't have won.
The Sedins were facing one of the greatest goaltending performances in Finals history. Kovalchulk and Parise faced a performance nearly its equal...NOBODY on those teams were producing, and in Vancouver's case it was a team that actually had strong depth.

EDIT: And, they were simply outplayed by the other team. On the other hand, the Flyers did everything they needed to's that produce like the Flyers did tend to win the Cup, but not if they have a slob in net.

Marchand and Horton are not Boston's best offensive players, I don't know where you're getting that.

As for Gretzky, I can't find them. It was discussed in the HoH forum; Gretzky was apparently decently contained, and the rest of his team made up for it. Just like Richards and Carter were contained, and the rest of the team made up for it. You're chasing ghosts here in an attempt to diminish Leighton's blame. No matter what you say, the Flyers offense was not an issue. Individual performances by a broken footed Carter and a Richards paired against Toews didn't matter. The offense was good enough anyways. I seriously don't know how or why you refuse to accept that.

The fact is this: Leighton was the worst starting goaltender a team has rolled into the Finals with, ever. I've checked, and I can't find anyone worse. The defensive play in front of him was solid; hell, it's how they dragged him to the Finals to begin with. To win with that pile of garbage stinking of the crease, they would have needed to put on the greatest offensive performance of all time, beating out some all time great dynasty teams and doing it in the cap era. Basically, what you're saying should have happened is/was impossible and utterly absurd to demand.

Leighton was the chief problem. Richards and Carter not producing was a very minor one.

Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.