Thread: TSN 1260: What's going on? Part 3
View Single Post
Old
07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Delicious Pancakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Few key tidbits from the article. So I'd assume if Sportsnet is coming to Edmonton that Spec won't be on 1260 doing his show.

We really going to end up with 3 stations battling each other?
I fully expect we'll see TEAM 1260 re-branded as TSN 1260 in the not-too-distant future now that Bell Media has bought in.

. . . Don't be surprised if SPORTSNET becomes a player on the local radio airwaves as well. Word is, they're after an AM property (maybe CKUA) to compete with TSN.

. . . 630 CHED is the rights holder for Oiler broadcasts for the upcoming season and then the deal is up for renewal. Both TSN (1260) and SPORTSNET, if they draw in, will contest those rights.
I don't see how Team/TSN 1260 or Sportsnet could take the radio rights from CHED unless they give the Oilers a really sweet TV deal. CHED has a huge range. I had no problem listening to Stauffer (except for the fact it was Stauffer) on the weekend when I was stuck on the Deerfoot in Calgary. 1260 cuts out what like 45 minutes outside of Edmonton? The Oilers will likely use the other two stations as leverage in negotiations and go with CHED because there are a lot of fans who live hours outside of the city and still come to the games.