Thread: Proposal: Col-Phx
View Single Post
Old
07-30-2013, 01:24 PM
letowskie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Another thing is funny that people on here think when you trade your best player you gotta get the other team's best player in return.

When Jackets traded their best player, franchise forward Nash, they didn't get the Ranger's best player in return. This is just a recent such a trade i can think of where a best player of one team didn't get a best player in return from the other team.

It's not uncommon in the NHL when a trade involving a best player of a team gets quantity instead of quality in return.
We don't need quantity; we have the deepest D of any organization in the league. We also have a ton of forwards around 3rd line level (Chipchura, Moss, Vermette, Korpikoski, Klinkhammer, etc), and 5 legit (although not great) top 6 forwards (Doan, Rib, Boedker, Vrbata, Hanzal) two of which are centers. The sole missing piece, if we were to move a signficant D for, would be for a top-line wing. You need to make good hockey trades to better your team, not just to scratch your NHL2013 on nintendo itch.

Duchene, while really good, and has loads of potential, would make our team much less balanced, and less suited for Tippett's system, if we move OEL for him. So that is an automatic no; as it make our team much less competitive. MacKinnon is the same in that regard, except you also take on the additional risk of him not coming close to his potential; so in that case, the Avs would need to add something major (like a top 5 pick), for it to be worth it for us.

I would not even trade OEL straight up for Malkin (although I definitely would for Crosby, who is just a much better player; or Stamkos / Tavares, who are still young and have untapped potential). As that trade would make us a substantially inferior team, unless another major move is made (to trade for more offensive chips in order to turn the team into a run and gun system, for example). There is simply no reason for us to move a 22 yr, who is probably going to be a top 5 D in the league for a number of years, for a 27 year old 1st line center that has thrived in the shadow of Crosby; none....

Quote:
If you guys do research of all the trades involving a best player of a certain team being traded, you'll find it that it didn't get the other team's best player in return.

I think Stastny, ROR, Elliott, 1st round for OEL isn't as bad as people make it out to be on here.

That's maybe not the best quality of the players Yotes get in return but that's still a good quantity of players plus a 1st rounder.

That's certainly better than what the Jackets got in return for Nash.
No one cares what Jackets got for Nash; we are not blowing up our team and rebuild right now; we are trying to come out of a retooling era to try to get back into the playoff hunt.

letowskie is offline   Reply With Quote