Old
07-30-2013, 01:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Why? Because you said so? Why not Toews+Kane+Hossa vs. Richards+Carter+Briere? What do the stats look like then for your 'top offensive performers'? Briere was one of our top offensive players every bit as much as Richards and Carter were.

Your parameters have been totally arbitrary and you've been changing them to suit your point. You can't give Crosby a free pass because Malkin produced but then criticize Richards for not producing when Briere did.
My parameters have not been arbitrary and changing. The only change I made was I initially included Gagne, but took him out of the equation because he was not one of their top offensive players. I included the top two offensive performers from the season (Richards and Carter) and it is pretty undisputed that those two were their best offensive players on the team. Crosby and Malkin were the Pens two best players. Kane and Toews were the Blackhawk's two best players. Richards and Carter were the Flyers two best players. They were the primary scoring.

Quote:
Yeah, telling a Selke calibre center to primarily focus on shutting down the opposing team's best player is totally mismanaging your talent. Especially when you have three other players playing at PPG pace. Right.
I would say it is. You're talking about great the Blackhawks were defensively, why would you not rely on your best offensive players?

Quote:
When you have a team with the insane offensive depth of the 2010 Flyers, you are free to use your defensive aces in shut down roles. And it worked. Richards cooled down a red hot Toews, and we continued to get boatloads of scoring from those other players.

So if it worked, why did we lose?

Oh yeah.
We lost for a number of reasons, all of which have been discussed ad nauseum. See: the last 100 pages of this thread, the 100 pages from 2010, the 100 pages from 2011, and the 100 pages from 2012.