View Single Post
Old
07-30-2013, 02:31 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My parameters have not been arbitrary and changing. The only change I made was I initially included Gagne, but took him out of the equation because he was not one of their top offensive players. I included the top two offensive performers from the season (Richards and Carter) and it is pretty undisputed that those two were their best offensive players on the team. Crosby and Malkin were the Pens two best players. Kane and Toews were the Blackhawk's two best players. Richards and Carter were the Flyers two best players. They were the primary scoring.
The fact that you are only using each team's top two offensive players is pretty arbitrary. Why not use one on one comparisons (ie, Richards v. Toews v. Crosby)? Or why not use three on three comparisons (ie, Richards+Carter+Briere v. Toews+Kane+Hossa)?

The fact that you are so insistant on using Richards+Carter to compare to Toews+Kane or Crosby+Malkin reveals the flimsiness of your argument.

I'd say that in 2009-10, the Flyers go-to offensive performers were Richards, Carter, and Briere. If you're willing to excuse Toews+Hossa because of Kane's performance, then you must excuse Richards+Carter because of Briere's performance.

Quote:
I would say it is. You're talking about great the Blackhawks were defensively, why would you not rely on your best offensive players?
Because the Flyers had an incredible amount of depth to rely on other players (Briere, Hartnell, Leino, Giroux, JVR) to get the job done offensively while Richards shouldered the defensive load.

Who else would take on the defensive burden of shutting down Toews if not Richards? It's just smart management of your assets. When you have one player who can do something defensively that no other can do (Richards) and you have a handful of others who can do the same thing he can do offensively, well that makes it easy to delegate responsibilities to your players.

Quote:
We lost for a number of reasons, all of which have been discussed ad nauseum. See: the last 100 pages of this thread, the 100 pages from 2010, the 100 pages from 2011, and the 100 pages from 2012.
Right, but there is one reason that heavily outweighs the others. Like I said, if you want to say, "We would have won had we scored more goals" then you could pin blame on Briere for not scoring more than he did. The fact is, we did not lose because we didn't score enough goals. It doesn't matter who scored them; we had enough offense to win that series.