Thread: Creatine
View Single Post
07-30-2013, 04:38 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by JacobimMugatu View Post
There is so much wrong with this post, as well as the average poster here's knowledge of creatine.
Creatine is the most proven supplement out there for training. It helps with results, is incredibly cheap (creatine monohydrate is, which is the only one that is needed) and carries minimal to low side effects. Some people get bloated on it and have too much water retention, I personally don't.

I'll explain why people supplement with creatine, and why it's incredibly useful

There are 3 metabolic pathways our body uses for energy, the ATP-PC (Adenosine Triphosphate-Phosphocreatine) system is the bodies first choice for immediate high energy, and we can tap into it for around 10-15 seconds of maximum output, with this being the first energy system the body would use or the startup system.
A simplified explanation as to how it works is that a high energy phosphate bond is broken turning ATP to ADP (A 3 phosphate group molecule to a 2 phosphate group molecule). When the bond is broken with the phosphate group, energy is released. Some of it the body uses in the ways that you'd think (to run, to jump) but part of the energy is reserved for recycling the ADP but attaching another phosphate group to it turning it back into the ATP that you started with. The body does this by using the phosphate groups from phosphocreatine molecules, which are stored in the muscle. Creatine supplementation increases your phosphocreatine stores, and allows your body to more effectively and efficiently recycle ADP back into ATP and that is what allows it to increase performance.

Also, to all the people talking about kidney damage with creatine, it is because a breakdown product of creatine is creatinine which is a metabolic waste that gets filtered by the kidneys and you piss it out. For people with healthy kidneys, this doesn't pose a problem.
Unfortunately, credentials and expertise are not really requisite for posting on the internet. Kudos to you for trying to fight the good fight. I pretty much gave up half a decade ago. Nowadays, I just find solace in the Darwinian view that ignorance will ultimately cull the heard, or, at least the competition.

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote