1) RNH given $5.5M extension
2) Justin Schultz given $4.5M on a 3-year "show me" deal
3) Jeff Petry signed to $3.75M/yr extension
4) Ryan Jones retained at $1.5M
5) Oscar Klefbom makes the team
6) Dubnyk given $4M extension
7) LaBarbera re-signs at $1M
8) Lander extended 1yr $1M

With the way the CBA changes the method the salary cap is calculated starting in 2014-2015, it's actually believed that the Salary Cap will fall in 2014-2015
Source

The Oilers are in a precarious situation here.

1) There is a rich 2014 UFA crop full of useful pieces for the Oilers. Joe Thornton, Jay Bouwmeester, Dion Phaneuf, Dany Heatley, David Legwand, Ryan Callahan, Alex Steen, and Nik Kulemin are all guys that can play key roles for the Oilers heading forward.

2) Newly extended/acquired guys like Smid, Gagner, Ference and Perron are nice temporary fixes - but the general opinion on here is that these aren't guys to "take us over the hump". We may need to consider moving 2-3 of these guys to fit some of the aforementioned UFA's. I see a redundancy with Ference/Smid on the left side - I'd love to see one of Bouwmeester/Phaneuf sign for 5-6M. Wouldn't mind seeing Smid being moved to accomodate it.

3) Nail Yakupov will need an extension. Whether it's given in Summer 2014 or 2015 is up to Mac-T, but it's going to have an impact on what they do in Summer 2014 regardless. The Oilers don't have any major cap commitments falling off the grid in 2015, so you can't bank on someone leaving to make room for Nail.
The salary cap cannot fall. The CBA has set $64.3M as a minimum.

Mirtles numbers reflect what I have said before in that this year's cap may be artificially high so there can be some growth without the cap going on.

Since that article was written there have been a number of positive signs on the revenue front. So it is possible, perhaps even likely that there will be a modest increase in the salary cap next year. What I do not see happening is the jump to $70M that some have suggested.

2014-2015 is probably the crunch time. It would not surprise me at all to see a $3-4M increase in the cap between 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. That should be close to enough for Yakupov. But I think you are right that for a couple of years they could be tight.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote