View Single Post
Old
07-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Egoclapper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
I've been watching the Leafs since the early 60's and I've seen a lot of great players and a lot not so great, I've seen Orr from his early days as a General to his days as a the best player in hockey, period! I've seen Potvin from a Jr on up as well as Neidermeyer Coffey etal

I don't believe Gardiner will ever truly compare with those guys, but at the risk of being optimistic I think we've only started to see what this young man can and will accomplish. IMHO he skates as well as any Dman in the league and if his defensive work improves he may end up being among the elite of the present day NHL

yeah yeah I know the argument that he's already 23 and all these 19 year olds are ahead of him, and I suppose that's true. One thing you have to consider is that while Gardiner was playing 48 HS games over 2 years these kids were playing 70+ games in either Midget AAA or JR grade hockey per year quite a difference in overall skills development and it's no wonder they're ahead.

He is now catching up on that difference in playing time and also catching up to who's who in the NHL which will enable him to write his book on how to play certain teams and players and in turn help his defensive work.

From what I've seen so far this guy is the real deal
I believe he only recently made the switch to the backend.

He's going to be our next Kaberle type. Calm under pressure and a great skater. A lot of D make the blind pass up the boards or through middle when they're under pressure, don't have to worry about that with Gardiner he'll skate it out and find the open man.

It'd be nice to lock him up on a 2-3 year deal before he has his breakout season this year. I'm seeing 50 points this season.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote