View Single Post
Old
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
SteveV*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
It's definitely a good sign.

But plenty of players have had GREAT playoff series before, but pretty lacklustre careers in general. I'm more sold on Gardiner than I am Franson, since he's younger and has shown a more consistent ability to play top 4 minutes in the regular season during his rookie year, whereas Franson has only played top 4 minutes for a couple of weeks.

Recent examples of guys who had good playoff runs/series but aren't great players:

-Leino had 21 points in 19 playoff games in 2009-2010.. he obviously doesn't regularly play at that level.
-Bickell just had 17 points in 23 games.. I doubt he sustains that type of play over any season, let alone his career in general.
-Marc-Andre Gragnani had 7 points in 7 playoff games while playing 22 minutes a night as a rookie..and has since failed to really do anything at the NHL level.
- etc
His playoffs only confirmed the "signs" we'd seen earlier, so I'm not basing my opinion on that stretch, only acknowledging he played better on a bigger stage, against tougher competition. The big IF about Gardiner is his defensive play, fact he looked good against a team that theoretically offered a great physical challenge, is fantastic.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote