View Single Post
Old
07-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
We can't afford to carry highly-paid players like Richards and Gaborik unless we have a constant flow of young players with cheap contracts.

A team can normally do this through the draft. However, I expect that the Rangers will be a very good team in the next few years, at least until the end of Gaborik's contract, so our 2012, 2013 and 2014 draft positions will be very late.

This year we will get either #29 or #30. The odds of getting even a marginal NHL player at this position are against us.

Even in strong drafts like 1990, 1997 and 2003, draft picks at 29-30 failed to make the NHL. Of the 20 players drafted at 29 and 30 in the 1990s, only 5 played 400+ games (5 seasons of 80 games), and the best of them were Jonathan Cheechoo and Sandis Ozolinsh, not exactly Hall of Famers. (The others were Jassen Cullimore, Stan Neckar, Deron Quint.)

The only option on the table is to acquire young players who may not have been drafted, but then blossomed, or to acquire reclamation projects.

In both cases, most will be failures. For every Girardi, there will be 5 Tommy Grants. Most reclamation projects will be failures as well.

But we have no other choice. We will need to fill up our prospect corps...
I wrote the above a little over a year ago and it looks like my prediction is holding. The Rangers have gone out of their way to sign undrafted prospects: Allen, Nicholls, Hughes, Kantor and now Donnay in a few weeks this summer. They may not be done, with Tolchinsky (and others) a distinct possibility.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote