View Single Post
Old
07-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Well to be fair, the biggest reason for their poor attendance figures is their abomination of a stadium...I don't even like watching games on TV from that stupid dome. If they can ever get sparkling new stadium built in the Tampa/St Pete area, watch their attendance skyrocket.
You know... That's an interesting argument. It is a logical one. But I have my doubts about that. All the arguments can be debated.

I'm gonna ramble here... And none are going to know what I'm saying.

Look at the Marlins. Sure they have a terrible team. But when things were okay in the beginning of last season, it wasn't a bang. Now it's new stadium Miami's stuck with.

So many people here have so many excuses. I'll be honest, I haven't been to the Trop to see the Rays in over a season and a half. Personal reasons. Nothing to do with the team or stadium or location.
It is a pain in the ass to get to. It's easy in a sense because of the highways. The stadium is off the I-275. It's in such an awkward location. It's out of the way. It's far for a lot of people. For a lot, it's an hour event getting there and an hour getting back home. But I can't fully buy that. There's people in the City that travel a distance to the games. It took me an hour to get to Yankee Stadium when I went to the Rays game on Saturday. They may have a subway/train system, but they're still paying for that.

The stadium cannot be in downtown St. Pete. It's a dead zone down there. Nobody wants to go there. They desperately need to build it in the middle of the region, either by Raymond James Stadium, Channelside by the Forum, or Carollin (North St. Pete). It'd be great for the region as a whole and not just for people of South Pinellas, South Tampa, and people in Manatee County.

If the Trop was in either of those spots, we wouldn't be talking about attendance as much. A new stadium will help, but it comes down to location.