View Single Post
Old
07-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Or address the soft as butter d. Briere wasn't or shouldn't have been a priority of any kind. Spending money for the sake of spending money is never a
Good idea
I don't think you can reduce it to "spending money for the sake of spending money". Briere has been a good player in the NHL for a lot of years, and really good in the playoffs. So he's not automatically just money wasted. And the team had cap space after signing him (and still has cap space) to consider signing a tough D-man. So there's no conflict involved there.

I guess end of the day, as much as I've hated the signing, I'd rather have Briere than dead cap space. It's not spending money for the sake of spending money, it's using empty cap space on a player who - while not a great fit at all on paper - could provide on-ice or asset value to the club, and I'd rather see that option taken than see nothing. It's not my $4M going into Briere's pocket.

It'll look a lot worse though if he really does tank, play at the Gomez-esque level he seemed to be approaching last season. At such point, if the gamble has demonstrably failed, I'll go back to purely hating on the signing (as opposed to desperately looking for a silver lining atm).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote