View Single Post
Old
07-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Phileeguy
Scoring Decision?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That makes too much sense for Amaro to do.
Yeah, this is Amaro. The guy that doled out $50m for Papelbon and a 1st round pick went to Boston, and had he waited about a week or so after the rules changed he wouldn't have lost a 1st round pick (and possibly realized if Papelbon didn't sign elsewhere, he could've offered him less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Someone pointed out that if they're a class B free agent or something the team would get a supplemental pick or similar, unless I'm misremembering. I'm not trying to defend the guy as god knows I'm not a fan and I think he's largely responsible for the not so bright future of the Phillies but he may be thinking that the picks or whatever is better then the likely return. Just a thought.
I think you're remembering the old system, hence the pick going to Boston for Papelbon.
Here's the new system:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...n-system-works
Quote:
The system now in place doesn't entail any arbitrary classifying of free agents. Instead, a team that wishes to receive compensation must submit a "qualifying offer" to the outgoing free agent. A qualifying offer constitutes a one-year proposal worth at least the annual average salary of the top 125 free agents from the previous winter. For this offseason, that comes to a one-year offer of $13.3 million.

If a team makes such a qualifying offer to an outgoing free agent and the free agent signs elsewhere, then his former team will receive a sandwich draft pick between the first and second rounds. The signing team, meanwhile, will forfeit its first-round choice -- unless it's a top-10 pick, in which case the team would give up a second-round pick. The lost picks don't go to any other team; rather, the teams behind the vanished pick all slide up a slot.
Going that route is a bit more dicey now than it was a few years ago.