Old
07-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
exactly...

and in terms of precedent setting, it's just as possible that what the Subban situation does is entice/encourage younger players coming up for RFA deals to view signing another teams offer sheet as the only way they'll get "what they deserve".

Subban, both publicly and privately, was adamant about wanting to play in Montreal and wanting to be a hab. For all the criticism he gets for his on-ice personality, what some people seem to miss is that he is exactly the type of player who thrives/feeds off of the kind of boisterous fan support we have in montreal...

as we well know, not all players can handle that added pressure. Knowing that your team/GM is going to use the "bridge" philosophy as a sledgehammer in negotiating the RFA years could easily be just one more incentive to get out of town...
Pretty much. I'd also add that people in Mtl have been whining about how the stars never want to come here, and when they are here, they want out, that nobody wants to commit to a decent price. Now we have a kid that was already a star, with so much potential, that publicly states how he wants to play here, and we go out of our way to make sure he takes a small deal.

I understand the ''precedent'' idea, and I can agree with it on some level (depending on what precedent you're trying to set). But I just don't buy it as a reason why Bergevin wanted the bridge deal with PK. I think we were very lucky to deal with a player that simply loves the Habs, and whose family adores them as well. The fact Bobby Mac and Dreger were believing more and more that this was going to end in a trade, and that PK said he needs time to discuss things with his family, wasn't very convincing that Bergevin has his stuff under control. I mean, at the time, some believed PK was asking for the moon, so believing that then I can see the trade possibility, but seeing what he signed for it's very unlikely he was asking for that moon.

Last edited by Kriss E: 07-31-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote