View Single Post
Old
08-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Why does everyone go to extremes, Bergevin didn't have to pick between Clarkson, Clowe, or Briere, he had other opitions, ones that would have been a better yet, like Morrow, and while Morrow is a LW, Bourque could have played RW (spot he has produced more in), to make more for Morrow.

Heck even maybe Jagr
Yeah, but the team had cap space to keep pursuing those guys even with Briere already signed. (And seems to have at least kicked the tires on Morrow). I think when we look at the Briere signing, it's the "consolation prize" to not being able to sign the really big $$$ Day 1 UFA guys who were out there, and there weren't many, like Lecavalier, Clowe, Clarkson. Bergevin will have known that the real mercenary veterans like Iginla and Alfredsson had other plans. Morrow and Jagr could have been signed as afterthoughts, and weren't excluded by the signing of Briere. But Briere reportedly had other suitors and wouldn't have been available had we waited on him.

It is still going to come down to how that asset pans out for me. We had a small window of opportunity to get this asset "for free" as a UFA, and we got him, and I don't think it very likely excluded us from getting any other assets. (At least, I sure hope not - per all these posts I'm trying to believe it didn't). But what remains to be seen is whether we even get good value out of Briere from the "for free" perspective. I'm not convinced we will. It was worth a try, perhaps, but if it turns out he sucks and/or we can't flip him for any other return and he becomes a Gomez-like blight on the roster, it won't have been worthwhile, even "for free".

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote