View Single Post
08-01-2013, 01:36 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by JLewyB View Post
You could sell me on Darcy fumbling the Vanek situation if that's what you're suggesting. I'd think you have a better case with Miller, however; he probably should have been traded by now. Both Vanek and Millers maximum value might be out the window but Vanek's is at least still on hanging out on the ledge. Meanwhile, Miller's is in freefall. For Darcy to get the value he wants from a Miller trade, he has to hope for a team to incur a long term injury or unexpected poor play from their goaltending.
A thought struck me early this morning based on Vanek's own (seemingly) noncommittal attitude towards the rebuild. I guess it is possible that Vanek and Regier have an understanding that Vanek starts the year off in Buffalo to give both sides a chance to assess how far away the team is from competing.

If Hodgson takes another big step forward, Grigorenko figures it out and Stafford, Ennis, Foligno and Leino find their groove the team will be a lot better than what most people expect. So, if Vanek would prefer to stay in Buffalo for a contender he might be willing to resign here if all signs are pointing to the rebuild being shorter than expected. He did say waaaay back when that he would be OK with a short rebuild if I remember correctly. If the team is as ***** as everyone thinks it will be, the promise is that he will be gone at or before the deadline.

In any case, the Sabres have one thing going for them here: It's the only place in the NHL that Vanek can be 100% sure that he will never be centered by Derek Roy.

LaFontaineToMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote