Thread: Tye McGinn
View Single Post
08-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Provolone & The Neck
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Whether Laughton makes the team has a huge bearing on whether they sign Gagne or not.

Talbot-Couts-Read is the 3rd line
Rinaldo-Laughton-Hall is the 4th line and you don't need Gagne, esp. with guys like McGinn, Raffl, Akeson, available as call ups.

If Laughton gets sent back to Jr., and I still think this is a possibility, his offensive game will only improve with another year in Jr, WJC, captain of the Gens, etc. A lot will depend on how good he looks at camp.

I don't want to see Hall demoted either, he is a good big vet player who showed he can still skate.

We'll have to wait and see what other tricks Homer has up his sleeve. I am not sure he's really done for the summer yet.

In some ways, I'd rather see McGinn get a shot, send Laughton back, and don't sign Gagne unless Read or Talbot get dealt as part of a package with Meszaros to get another young D.

McGinn showed real promise, good hands, hits tons, smart. He will play this year.
That fourth line seems counter-intuitive to me. Hall's best value is as a center and Talbot's best value is on the fourth line (unless I am missing something). It would seem like this move may be ok in a sense that Laughton may excel as the 4C, but the rest of the team could be better off either with Laughton on the wing or Laughton going back to juniors and letting someone else win that 3W spot.

The team shouldn't make their decision based on the benefit to a single player rather than the team as a whole. In other words:

Laughton/young guy-Cooter-Read

may be better for the team but not Laughton, while

may be better for Laughton but not the team.

Now I could be way off-base on that, but that is the way it looks to me. If it's me I go with the lineup that is better for the team.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote